"I have struggled a lot trying to find a diet that fits my lifestyle. The Ketogenic Diet has changed my life and I do not ever intend on going back!" -Lauren Teknipp
What is the Ketogenic Diet?
The Ketogenic Diet is less of a diet and more of a complete change in your style of eating, but do not fear. The Ketogenic diet is known its low carb, high fat, moderate protein style of eating. The goal of the Ketogenic diet is to get into "Ketosis," meaning you produce ketones in your liver to be used as energy. When you eat carbs your body will produce glucose and insulin to use for energy. By replacing your carbs with fat, you are lowering the production of this glucose and insulin in your body. When this happens, your body is forced to use only ketones as it's energy source, as well as your body fat. What happens is, your body fat is turned into ketones and then burned for energy! How great is that?
How Do I Get Started?
Reaching ketosis does not happen overnight and this is not a style of eating that you can go halfway on. When you eat this way, you are choosing to switch from being a sugar-burner to a fat-burner. This process can take anywhere from 2-7 days, depending on how your body adjusts. The fastest way to get into ketosis is to exercise on an empty stomach, keep your carb intake to 20g or less per day, and increase your dietary fat and water intake.
What are the Benefits of Eating High-Fat?
Some of the naturally occurring benefits of a Ketogenic diet are as follows...
- Suppressed appetite
- Healthy weight-loss
- Main portion of weight-loss comes in the form of body fat and from abdominal region
- Triglyceride count lowers (triglycerides = fat molecules that are detrimental to your overall health)
- Increased HDL (good cholesterol)
- Clears skin conditions such as acne, dry skin, rashes, and eczema.
- Reduces blood sugar and insulin levels
- Major improvements in people with Type 2 Diabetes (basically reverses the effects!)
- Reduces blood pressure
- Treatment against metabolic syndrome
- Therapeutic treatment for several brain disorders
- Reverses the production of cancer cells by starving cancer cells of their primary fuel, glucose, thus killing the cancer!! Source
- The list goes on...
How Much Weight will I Lose?
Depending on what your weight-loss goals are, the number is unlimited! I have had some people who are extremely overweight or obese lose 100+ pounds. The great thing about the Ketogenic diet is that you can tailor it to fit your own specific needs. The goal is that you lower your carb intake to between 20-50g per day (depending on how well you tolerate carbs, I stick right around 30). Once you have reached your "goal weight" you can increase carb consumption if you wish to a maximum of 100g per day.
What Do I Eat as a Snack?
Email me at email@example.com and I can answer any of your specific questions about eating high fat based on my experience and my personal eating style with Keto.